Saturday, March 27, 2010

Visiting Day

I've been feeling guilty because I haven't visited Mom for nearly 3 weeks. I have lots of reasons but the bottom line is that she's doing well physically and she's enjoying all the activities in her residence to the point where you have to schedule your visit so you don't interrupt an activity because she wants to go to them. I think that's awesome and I really admire her for joining in rather than becoming depressed.

I think it needs to be okay for me to have not visited for that long when she is doing well, it allows me to recharge for when she's ill and needs me more. And also today when I did go in to see her it felt SO nice to see her and we had a great visit. We spent a lot of time looking at the new big family portrait and Mom happily made up stories about what was happening in the picture. Absolutely nothing in her stories was true but neither of us cared and we had some good laughs.

The more relaxed I am the more relaxed she seems to be and today she actually admitted several times that she couldn't remember some things and didn't know who some of the people in the picture were. That is extremely unusual for her. She always tries to cover up her memory loss. I was able to say that it wasn't her fault that she couldn't remember and she accepted that as truth and we moved on.

I want to get in more often in the next while and help Mom get over to the activity room where there's a baby quilt set up. My quilting skillz are pretty rusty but so are Mom's so we should do fine!

1 comment:

kathy said...

That is so great that you found a right place for her and that she enjoys it. Plus making new memory like quilting together is a wonderful bonding idea.

http://polwig.com