Monday, January 31, 2011

Ooops


So. I usually kind of pride myself at figuring things out for Mom. Listening to what she says and trying to figure out what it means. Well for a number of years now she's been telling me that her window is open because she can feel the screen. When she'd tell me that I'd help her to feel that the window was on the other side of the screen so it couldn't be open. She would immediately forget what I told her and tell me again that the window was open because she could feel the screen.

I mentioned to my brother that maybe we should take the screen off and put it away for the winter so it wouldn't bother Mom. He was happy to do that but when he took the screen away he took a closer look and saw that the window latch is broken and there is indeed a slight crack that has been letting in the cold. For years! No wonder Mom has always kept the curtain shut on that side of the window.

In my defense, Mom never once mentioned being cold or that she felt a breeze, just that the window must be open because she could feel the screen. I'm also happy that the curtains are fabric lined with heavy plastic that would have kept the breeze at bay.

The nursing home was happy to fix it right away.

I just wish I had listened a little better. It's hard when most of what she says doesn't make any sense at all to remember that sometimes she's right on the money.


1 comment:

Viki said...

At least you got it figured out. Sometimes it's hard to be a detective and figure things out, ha.