I've never felt two ways so strongly about anything. Mom has done her time. Twelve years with Alzheimers is enough for anybody. She deserves a better death than one from total end stages Alzheimers. I've seen that. It's not pretty. It's not humane.
At the same time I don't want her to die. She has changed almost beyond recognition but she is my mother and I love her. This second option, her living, is the selfish one to hope for.
But truly I don't have any say or control over what happens. The best I can do is help report when she tells me she is in pain and make sure something is done about it.
And play. We play dolls a lot. I hated playing with dolls as a kid and now it's one of the best things I can do for my Mother. When Mom's not looking I wash the doll's face because Mom takes the dolly in to supper with her and shares her food with her. We spend a lot of time fixing the doll's hair. Dollar store hair products are a huge hit. Today I told my Mother the story of when I was in grade one and she did my hair in a hurry - one side a braid, the other a pony tail, and I was late for school because she had to fix it. I don't know if my Mother knows who I am but she accepts me and she accepts my love and that's all that matters.
So we wait and see.
And I secretly become a cheerleader for death while at the same time I abhor it.

1 comment:
God bless you and your mom.
Post a Comment