Friday, February 1, 2008

Amazing

My Mother is the smartest person I know. She was always well spoken and talented, but I didn't realize till she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's eight years ago how intelligent she really is.

It was tricky to convince her doctor that there was a problem and she would have passed the doctor's test for Alzheimer's except she missed a rather major question - what season it was.

The area of my mother's brain that controls social graces has not been changed too much so it is often difficult for people to believe she has Alzheimer's when they first meet her. It's not till she repeats something she's said three or even one minute ago that it becomes obvious.

Mom takes visual cues from her surroundings very well. Her newspaper is often nearby so she can glance over to see the date. She still does word puzzles and one thing we can do happily together is the daily crossword puzzle.

I admire how she attends every activity at her long term care facility and participates fully. I think in her circumstances I would sulk in my room. Once when I attended a word game activity with her I came away totally impressed. Mom could have answered every question almost instantly but many times allowed others to answer first so they could join in the game.

I've seen her greet a visitor warmly even though I could see that she was not sure who the person was: "Oh hello, I thought I might have visitors today, but I didn't know it would be you!"

Despite what I wrote yesterday, I would give anything for my mother not to have this disease. I like to think that we would have figured things out. But the fact is she does have Alzheimer's and every single time I am with her I come away truly amazed at her grace, intelligence, and ability to find enjoyment in the smallest detail.